Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that increases breast volume, improves breast shape and corrects breast asymmetry. With nearly two decades of experience, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Charles Chalekson has helped thousands of patients achieve their desired aesthetic. Whether you want to alter the size, shape or position of your breasts, Dr. Chalekson has the knowledge, skill and surgical expertise to help you achieve your goals.
To learn more about breast augmentation and your candidacy for the procedure, contact Charles Chalekson MD Inc. today online or at 805.434.2828 to schedule an initial consultation. We welcome women from every corner of the nation and all parts of California, including Paso Robles & Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach, Cambria, Santa Barbara and Santa Maria.
This page covers the following topics:
- Breast Augmentation Benefits
- Am I a Good Breast Augmentation Candidate?
- Breast Augmentation Customized Specifically for You
- Types of Breast Implants
- Breast Implant Sizing
- Incision Options for Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implant Placement Options
- Breast Implant [Keller] Funnel
- Breast Implant Removal and Breast Augmentation Revision
- Recovery from Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Schedule Your Breast Augmentation Consultation Today
Breast Augmentation Benefits
Breast augmentation is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures in the nation, helping hundreds of thousands of women attain their ideal figures every year. The reasons for breast augmentation differ widely among patients, but the procedure offers several common benefits to women, such as:
- Restored breast volume lost due to weight loss, pregnancy or the natural aging process
- Balanced appearance to breasts that may have been previously asymmetrical
- Increased wardrobe options that compliment you new figure
- Improved self-confidence that comes with loving the way you look
The decision to have breast augmentation is a personal one and the benefits can be as unique as each woman Dr. Chalekson sees. During your initial consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeon, your concerns will be heard and the breast augmentation options best suited to meet your individual needs will be determined and explained.
Am I a Good Breast Augmentation Candidate?
Barring any pre-existing medical conditions, if you are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts, you are likely a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery. Generally speaking, you may be a good breast augmentation candidate if:
- Your breasts are fully developed
- You are in generally good physical condition
- You are not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
- You do not smoke, or are willing to quit before your procedure and remain smoke-free throughout the duration of your recovery
- You have realistic expectations
- You are able to take time away for a healthy recovery and willing to closely adhere to Dr. Chalekson’s preoperative and postoperative instructions
The FDA has approved the use of saline implants for women aged 18-years and older and silicone implants for women at least 22 years old. Patients who are concerned with issues such as breast asymmetry may be eligible during late adolescence. Dr. Chalekson will evaluate your physical condition, review your medical history and determine if you are a good candidate for breast augmentation.
Breast Augmentation Customized Specifically for You
With so many breast augmentation options available, you may feel overwhelmed with choices. Fortunately, Dr. Chalekson is here to demystify the process and guide you through each step of your transformative journey with honesty and experienced-based recommendations. During your comprehensive initial consultation, he will discuss your desired outcome, assess your physique and explain all of your treatment options. Through honest dialogue and collaboration, you and Dr. Chalekson will develop a breast augmentation procedure that is completely customized to achieve your unique goals.
When designing your personalized breast augmentation, Dr. Chalekson will discuss several elements of your procedure, including:
- The type of your breast implant
- The size of your breast implant
- The location of your incision
- Your breast implant placement
Breast augmentation can be performed on its own or in conjunction with other procedures. For example, while breast augmentation can provide a slight lift to the breasts, women with moderate to severe sagging issues may elect to combine their breast augmentation with a breast lift [mastopexy] to elevate their breasts to a perkier and more youthful position.
Also, many women undergo breast augmentation along with a tummy tuck or liposuction as part of a comprehensive mommy makeover. During your initial consultation, Dr. Chalekson will thoroughly discuss all of your concerns and possible treatment options to help you achieve the look you desire.
Types of Breast Implants
There is no “right” breast implant, only breast implants that are right for you. Dr. Chalekson will work closely with you to determine which breast implant best suits your particular goals, lifestyle and budget. All breast implants we offer are FDA-approved medical devices with unique advantages to consider. Our implant options include:
- Saline breast implants: This type of breast implant consists of an outer silicone shell filled with a completely safe saline solution. Saline implants are filled with saline after they have been placed, a distinction that offers a number of benefits. These can also include newer styles of saline implants, such as the IDEAL implant, to help provide some of the beneficial qualities seen with a silicone implant.
- Silicone breast implants: Available in a variety of shapes and sizes, silicone implants are made of an outer silicone shell that is filled with silicone gel.
- Gummy bear breast implants: These types of implants are made of a more cohesive silicone gel that retains its shape, even when cut in half (thus the “gummy bear” namesake”).
- Fat grafting: Also referred to as lipoaugmentation, natural fat grafting can create a soft, subtle increase in breast size. The fat grafting process begins with the removal of fat from another area of your body, typically the buttocks, thighs or abdomen, with a gentle liposuction procedure. The harvested fat cells are then processed and purified before being injected into the breasts. This incorporates the harvested fat into the existing fatty tissue to create a natural, refined increase in breast size.
Breast Implant Sizing
Every woman has unique needs and a specific aesthetic she wants to achieve. Some women want a subtle enhancement while others seek a bold transformation. Dr. Chalekson respects the individual preferences of every patient and works to create results that achieve your desired outcome. The size and profile of your breast implants will play a tremendous role in attaining the results you seek.
Whatever breast size you hope to attain, Dr. Chalekson will help you find the ideal solution. During your initial consultation, he will discuss implant sizes with you and answer any questions you have. Together, you will determine which size is best for you.
Dr. Chalekson believes in the beauty of individuality. He tailors every procedure to provide the precise look you want. He will listen closely to your needs to deliver an implant size that helps you look and feel your best. As always, your safety, comfort and satisfaction are our top priorities.
INCISION OPTIONS FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION
Dr. Chalekson will recommend the incision option that is best suited for your specific needs and anatomy. Depending on your particular situation, Dr. Chalekson may recommend one of the following incision techniques:
Inframammary crease (breast crease) incision: This is a popular choice and is unlikely to cause difficulty with breastfeeding. It's a good option for patients who do not require a breast lift. The scar is very discreet, hidden in the crease under the breast.
Peri-areolar incision: Also a popular incision choice, this type of incision is a small semi-circle shape on the lower edge of the areola, camouflaged along the border of the areola’s coloration and texture.
When determining which incision option is best for you, it's essential to discuss pros and cons of each technique with Dr. Chalekson. He will take all the time necessary to understand your goals to identify the best option for your particular circumstances.
Breast Implant Placement Options
Another important decision that must be made for your customized breast augmentation is that of breast implant placement. Depending on your unique anatomy and goals, Dr. Chalekson may recommend:
- Subglandular placement: The breast implant is placed behind the breast tissue and over the chest muscle.
- Submuscular placement: The breast implant is placed underneath the majority of your pectorals major chest muscle.
- Dual plane placement: The upper portion of the breast implant is placed beneath the chest muscle and the lower portion of the implant is placed below the breast tissue.
Each implant placement option carries its own pros and cons. What’s right for one patient may not be ideal for you. During your initial consultation, Dr. Chalekson will discuss the advantages and considerations of each of your options. He will help you make an informed decision that will accomplish your unique goals.
Breast Implant [Keller] Funnel
Due to its ability to provide an exceptional level of control and safety, Dr. Chalekson frequently uses the Keller Funnel to place certain breast implants. Keller Funnels are used to:
- Leave patients with shorter incisions
- Minimize the chances of implant tearing or gel fractures
- Reduce contact with the breast implant
- Diminish the risk of infection
Breast Implant Removal and Breast Augmentation Revision
Breast implants are medical devices, and over time they may potentially break down or wear out. While you should expect your breast implants to last for a long time, you should also understand that at some point, a revision procedure may be needed.
Common reasons to undergo breast augmentation revision surgery include:
- To replace a ruptured breast implant
- To change the size of your breast implants
- To switch to a different style of breast implant (saline, silicone, cohesive gel "gummy bear")
- To correct changes in your breast enhancement results that occur over time (such as further droopiness of the breast with time)
- To correct a complication associated with your initial breast augmentation procedure
- To improve the appearance of your breasts, if you are not happy with your initial results
Over the course of his nearly 20-year career, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Charles Chalekson routinely performs numerous breast augmentation revision procedures. He has extensive experience performing breast surgery and has likely seen any type of complication you may experience. Whether you want to improve an unsatisfactory initial result or simply need to replace an implant that has worn out over time, he can deliver the results you desire.
When undergoing breast augmentation revision, it is crucial to work with the right plastic surgeon. These procedures are often more complicated than the initial surgery, and your surgeon must understand the unique issues associated with revision procedures.
Dr. Chalekson will address all of the problems that exist during your revision procedure, and he will design a treatment plan that offers you the highest chances of success with the lowest possible risk. This is the best way to achieve the highest quality of results.
Recovery from Breast Augmentation Surgery
In order to achieve the best possible results, it is important to follow Dr. Chalekson’s postoperative instructions very carefully. This will ensure a smooth recovery and reduce the risk of complications.
Prior to surgery, Dr. Chalekson will provide you with detailed written instructions and review these instructions with you in person to ensure you understand what you need to do. In general, it is important to keep the following points in mind:
- Make sure you arrange for someone to drive you home after your procedure since it will be unsafe for you to drive due to the anesthesia. You should also make sure someone is with you at home for the rest of the day to assist you.
- It is common to experience some swelling, bruising and mild discomfort during the first week of recovery. Dr. Chalekson will prescribe medication to help you manage any discomfort you may experience.
- You will need to take it easy during the first few days of your recovery. Light walking is encouraged as soon as you feel up to it, but make sure you refrain from strenuous exercise. Dr. Chalekson will let you know when it's safe to resume normal activities.
- In most instances, you should be able to return to work after about a week. However, the exact timeframe will be determined by Dr. Chalekson based on how your recovery is progressing.
- It may take up to six weeks before you can resume strenuous activities. Make sure you consult with Dr. Chalekson prior to adding any activities back into your regimen.
Book a Consultation with Dr. Chalekson Today!
To learn more about our Breast Augmentation Procedures or to determine if you are a candidate, please schedule a personalized consultation with Dr. Charles Chalekson! Call 805.434.2828 or click here to send us an Appointment Request Form. Our practice serves Templeton and the surrounding areas of California, and we look forward to meeting you!
See What Our Patients Are Saying...
"Dr. Chalekson is amazing! He made me feel very confident and comfortable making my decision for my breast augmentation... his staff are all so kind, informative, and flexible! And really made me feel like I was in good hands. I couldn’t be happier with choosing Dr. chalekson and my end results!" - S.L.
SCHEDULE YOUR BREAST AUGMENTATION CONSULTATION TODAY
If you are considering breast augmentation or other breast surgery, contact the plastic surgery practice of Charles Chalekson MD Inc., today online or at 805.434.2828 to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Charles Chalekson. In addition to women in Paso Robles & Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, Cambria & Morro Bay, Arroyo Grande & Pismo Beach, Santa Maria and Santa Barbara, we happily welcome patients from across California and the U.S.