Getting ideal body contours may be more difficult than we imagine. Eating the right foods and exercising several days a week doesn’t always lead to the outcome we envision for ourselves. We may feel good and enjoy good health, but we also deserve to love he way we look. If your lifestyle habits have only gotten you so far and you want to go farther, you may be considering what a tummy tuck has to offer. Here, we’ll discuss the advantages of this procedure as well as its disadvantages.
What is Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Tummy tuck surgery, abdominoplasty, is a procedure that involves the removal of excess fatty tissue and skin. More specifically, though, the surgery focuses on tightening the abdominal muscles that have become lax over time. Muscles stretch due to weight gain and pregnancy, sometimes to the point of separation. The tummy tuck restores a taut, flat midsection that is complementary to broader body contours.
Tummy Tuck Advantages
- This surgery is planned according to your unique body frame and desired outcome. Your doctor can sculpt abs, a V-shaped torso, and smooth contours from your abdominal area to surrounding curves.
- A tummy tuck can eliminate skin with stretch marks. During the procedure, the doctor pulls the skin downward toward the pubic area until it is smooth and flat. The skin that is trimmed is usually where stretch marks had occurred. What remains is smooth, stripe-free tissue.
- Tightening the abdominal muscle has a secondary effect of fortifying core strength. Many patients notice that, after their tummy tuck, they notice much less low back pain than they had before surgery. Due to its persistence, the low-level pain isn’t recognized until its gone.
Tummy Tuck Disadvantages
- You’ll need time to recover after your tummy tuck. At first, your posture will be stooped forward due to tightness. This isn’t painful, but it takes time for the muscle and skin to relax. Most patients can go back to work two to three weeks after abdominoplasty but they continue healing for up to 12 weeks.
- A tummy tuck leaves a mark. Most of the mark of a tummy tuck is cosmetically pleasing. However, expect a relatively long scar at the bikini line. Once your incisions have healed fully, you can begin a scar treatment program using silicone sheets or other modalities. Over time, the scar fades very nicely.
- A tummy tuck isn’t guaranteed to last. The results of your tummy tuck can last many years if not indefinitely. That said, if you become pregnant or gain a substantial amount of weight, your results may be diminished.