Tummy tuck surgery, or abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure performed to sculpt your midsection for a firmer, trimmer figure. During the procedure, loose, excess skin is removed from the tummy area and the underlying abdominal muscles are tightened. For more than 20 years, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Charles Chalekson has helped women and men achieve their ideal contours through abdominoplasty and other fully-customized procedures.
If you struggle with excess fat and skin, contact Charles Chalekson MD Inc. today online or at 805.434.2828 to schedule a confidential consultation with Dr. Chalekson. We serve patients from across California, including Paso Robles & Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach, Cambria, Santa Barbara and Santa Maria.
This page covers the following topics about tummy tucks:
- What Is Abdominoplasty?
- Tummy Tuck Benefits
- Am I a Good Tummy Tuck Candidate?
- What Is a Full Tummy Tuck?
- What Is a Mini Tummy Tuck?
- Your Initial Tummy Tuck Consultation
- Preparing for Abdominoplasty
- Tummy Tuck Recovery
- Tummy Tuck Scars
- Is Abdominoplasty Weight Loss Surgery?
- How Much Does a Tummy Tuck Cost?
- Maintaining Your Tummy Tuck Results
- Why Choose Dr. Chalekson for Your Tummy Tuck Surgery?
- Schedule Your Abdominoplasty Consultation Today
What Is Abdominoplasty?
Abdominoplasty is the medical term for a tummy tuck, a surgical body contouring procedure that creates a firmer, flatter, more youthful midsection contour by reducing regional fat, removing excess skin and repairing separated abdominal muscles. Tummy tucks are not designed specifically to remove stretch marks, but the majority of abdominal stretch marks occur on the area of loose skin that is removed during the procedure.
Aging, weight loss and pregnancy can all contribute to sagging skin and weak abdominal muscles. Abdominoplasty is often necessary to correct loose skin and weak abdominal muscles that don’t respond to fitness efforts.
Tummy Tuck Benefits
Excess fat, stretch marks, lax skin and abdominal bulge can all occur after weight loss and pregnancy. In most cases, no amount of diet or exercise can resolve these issues sufficiently.
Tummy tuck surgery offers medical, cosmetic and emotional benefits. Medically, abdominoplasty can improve abdominal tone, improve posture and reduce stress urinary incontinence. Other benefits of a tummy tuck include:
- Improved abdominal contour
- Attractive silhouette
- Long-lasting results
- Inconspicuous scarring
- Natural-looking result
- Improved self-image
- Improved quality of life
Am I a Good Tummy Tuck Candidate?
The best way to find out if a tummy tuck is right for you is to meet personally with Dr. Chalekson in a confidential, one-on-one consult. During this initial visit, Dr. Chalekson will conduct a customized physical exam and thoroughly assess all of your treatment options.
Generally speaking, you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck if you:
- Have loose, sagging skin in the stomach area
- Suffer from separated or weakened abdominal muscles
- Do not see contour improvement through diet and exercise
- Are at or near your ideal body weight
- Are in good physical and mental health
- Have realistic expectations for your results
- Do not smoke
A good decision is an informed decision. Dr. Chalekson will work closely with you to ensure your questions are answered, your concerns are addressed and you have all the information you need to make an informed decision about your procedure.
What Is a Full Tummy Tuck?
A full, or complete, tummy tuck restores a slimmer, firmer, more youthful abdominal profile by removing excess skin and fat from the tummy area and tightening the muscle structure in the abdominal region. For this procedure, an incision is made from hipbone to hipbone, discreetly below the bikini line. Belly button surgery, or umbilicoplasty is often performed in a full abdominoplasty.
What Is a Mini Tummy Tuck?
Mini tummy tucks, also known as partial tummy tucks, are best suited for patients with a small amount of excess skin around the belly. Mini tummy tucks involve shorter incisions, similar to a C-section incision, low along the abdominal wall.
This type of abdominoplasty is performed on patients whose stubborn fat deposits lie below the navel. A small amount of excess skin is removed from the lower abdomen and only muscles below the bellybutton are tightened. The belly button itself is not shifted during this procedure.
Your Initial Tummy Tuck Consultation
If you are considering abdominoplasty, your first step will be to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Chalekson at our office. During this initial consult, which may last up to an hour or more, Dr. Chalekson will:
- Discuss your aesthetic concerns and the outcome you would like to achieve
- Conduct a thorough physical evaluation and review your medical history
- Explain his recommendation and all of your treatment options
- Ensure your questions related to your procedure, recovery and payment options are answered
You will also have the opportunity to observe examples of Dr. Chalekson’s past results. By reviewing before and after examples, you can see for yourself what you can expect from surgery.
Preparing for Abdominoplasty
In order to reduce risks and help to ensure a healthy recovery, it is important to properly prepare for your abdominoplasty. Prior to your surgery, Dr. Chalekson will provide you with detailed pre and postoperative instructions. He will thoroughly explain what you can expect from your procedure and how to prepare for your surgery date.
Generally, when preparing for abdominoplasty, you should:
- Maintain a healthy diet: Eat balanced, nutritious meals to naturally optimize the healing process. Avoid excessive dieting.
- Avoid certain medications: Before surgery, avoid aspirin and anti-inflammatory medicine. These can cause increased bleeding.
- Quit smoking: Smoking increases the risk of complications and inhibits optimal recovery.
- Prepare for a comfortable home recovery: You’ll spend time at home for your recovery, so make sure you prepare a comfortable and effective space in advance. You should create a cozy space in which you can easily access your phone, TV remote, books, comfortable clothing and personal items like lip balm and tissues within easy reaching distance.
Tummy Tuck Recovery
While it is important to understand that everyone heals at their own rate, the initial recovery period for tummy tucks is typically two weeks. During your immediate recovery, you should plan to stay home from work and avoid most physical activities. After about two weeks, most patients are generally able to perform light housework and return to less physically demanding jobs such as administrative work or a desk job. It will be important to continue to avoid strenuous physical activity and heavy lifting during this time.
After approximately six weeks following your surgery, you will be allowed to resume most of your pre-surgery activities, although you may experience some discomfort. Most patients can completely get back to their normal routines after about three months.
Dr. Chalekson will provide you with detailed pre and postoperative instructions to help you properly prepare for your surgery and make a full and healthy recovery. Throughout the course of your recuperation, you will continue to see Dr. Chalekson at scheduled follow-up appointments to ensure your recovery is on track. As always, he will be available to answer questions and address concerns at any time.
Tummy Tuck Scars
By necessity, tummy tuck scars must be long in order to excise a large area of skin. As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Chalekson is keenly aware of the importance of creating scars that are narrow and discreet, hidden below the bikini line. Using the most advanced and effective techniques, he will ensure that your scar is as subtle as possible.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Chalekson will discuss incisions, scarring and what you can expect after surgery. He will take the time to answer all of your questions and address your concerns.
Is Abdominoplasty Weight Loss Surgery?
No. Abdominoplasty can create a slim, attractive profile, but it is a body contouring procedure, not weight loss surgery. Tummy tucks should only be performed on patients who are at or near their ideal weights. Dr. Chalekson will evaluate your candidacy for the procedure during your initial consultation.
How Much is a Tummy Tuck?
The cost of abdominoplasty varies from patient to patient, depending on the type of tummy tuck you are getting and the amount of work needed to achieve your goals. During your initial consultation, you will be provided with a cost estimate for your unique, customized procedure.
Maintaining Your Tummy Tuck Results
Dr. Chalekson takes great pride in the exceptional quality of his tummy tuck results. This transformative procedure can have a significant impact on the both the bodies and lives of our patients.
However, once Dr. Chalekson has helped you achieve your aesthetic goals, you’ll need to put in some effort to ensure your results last for years to come. Junk food and a sedentary lifestyle can create new fat and diminish your new figure. To ensure your results are truly long-lasting, we recommend you commit to:
- A healthy diet: Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats and whole grains are common staples of a proper diet. If you struggle with maintain a healthy diet, a nutritionist may be able to help you design an effective, long-term meal-planning strategy.
- Physical fitness: You don’t need to be a permanent fixture at your local gym to stay fit, but you do need to maintain an active lifestyle that involves a healthy amount of exercise every week. Of course, each body is different, and many patients find it beneficial to work with a personal trainer to help develop a fitness program that aligns with their needs and lifestyle.
Why Choose Dr. Chalekson for Your Tummy Tuck Surgery?
At Charles Chalekson MD, your signature experience begins the moment you enter our office. From the front desk to our accredited ambulatory surgical center, every step of your transformative journey has been designed to maximize your comfort, safety and satisfaction.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Chalekson will take time to get to know you, your aesthetic concerns and your cosmetic goals. He will evaluate your tummy tuck candidacy, explain your options and tailor a customized procedure specifically for your unique body and needs.
As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Chalekson has demonstrated his knowledge and skill in the field of plastic surgery. We invite you to visit our before and after gallery to see examples of his work for yourself.
Schedule Your Abdominoplasty Consultation Today
If you are considering abdominoplasty or other body contouring, contact the plastic surgery practice of Charles Chalekson MD Inc., today online or at 805.434.2828 to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Charles Chalekson. In addition to women in Paso Robles & Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, Cambria & Morro Bay, Arroyo Grande & Pismo Beach, Santa Maria and Santa Barbara, we happily welcome patients from across California and the U.S.