A tummy tuck (also known as “abdominoplasty”) is a very popular procedure, and tens of thousands are performed successfully each year. However, a tummy tuck is still a surgical procedure, and for that reason you may be having a difficult time deciding if you should jump in and have it done or not. Read on for some things to consider when making this important decision.
YOU MAY BE READY FOR A TUMMY TUCK IF…
Here are nine indications that it may be the right time for a tummy tuck:
- You have decided you want the procedure for your own reasons – to feel better about yourself – not to try to fit into some “perfect” image.
- You are healthy and at a stable weight.
- You understand that a tummy tuck is not a weight-loss procedure, but instead, it is meant to get rid of that excess bit of fat that won’t go away on its own.
- You don’t smoke.
- You have realistic expectations about what a tummy tuck can do.
- You aren’t planning on any more pregnancies. A tummy tuck won’t keep you from getting pregnant, of course – but pregnancy can alter the results of your tummy tuck dramatically. Many women wait until they are done having children before considering a tummy tuck.
- You understand that a tummy tuck is not a substitute for exercise and a healthy diet.
- You will be able to take the time to recover – at least a couple of weeks away from work and a few weeks of no heavy physical activity. You need to make sure you can recover mentally, as well, with as little stress as possible so that you can focus only on healing.
- You understand the risks that come with any surgery and how important it is to follow your doctor’s instructions afterward.
Whether or not to have a tummy tuck can be a difficult decision – but Dr. Charles Chalekson in Templeton, CA, is happy to discuss your concerns with you and answer your questions to help you decide. Call for an appointment today!